Monday, September 23, 2013

Scene From Today

I ought to start a series called "F*kwits Today."  But I have enough on my hands.  So, while I am still thinking about Ironside, here's one for today.

Me:  Could you pull a cardboard box from the back, please.  I'd like to buy 7 bags of ice and put them in there.

Him (utter incomprehension):  What?

Me (slower):  I would like 7 bags of ice. It would be really helpful if you could pull a cardboard box from the back, so I can carry them home.

Him:  Lady, you can't carry them.

Me:  That's what the box is for.

Him: I can't sell you them; you can't carry them.

Me: I will put them in the box.

Him:  How are you going to carry them.

Me: In the box.

Him: I can't let you do that.

Me (frustrated): unprintable.

He gets two boxes.  Now, I *know* I can't carry that.  He puts 3 bags in one.  I repack them and then transfer them from the second.  Eventually, I have all seven in the box and the box is on my knees.

Him (gushing): I've never seen that before.  I've never seen that before!

Me (resigned): unprintable.

5 comments:

  1. Good theater but dreadful real life experience. I wish it had been otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here is why it's important for you to continue to tell tales of f*ckwits: there are people out there who don't wake up f*ckwits but might accidentally become one without the benefit fo your instructional tales.

    you can SAY "don't assume for disabled people what they can and cannot do, don't assume for them what the do and do not need" and they might even make a mental note not to be a f*ckwit but without the instructional illustration of what f*ckwit looks like, they might miss out on getting the practical experience right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:11 AM

      A great point. I'm glad I read this post, and that you're talking about this.

      Delete
  3. The lack of imagination that able-bodied people demonstrate is mind-boggling. An article in the Huffington Post about what retailers can do to make their stores more disability-friendly includes a recommendation for tactile buttons on credit/debit card readers; someone comments that he can't understand how someone who needed tactile buttons would be able to shop!

    It's the classic consciousness-raising problem - we who are immersed in thinking about disability find it hard to believe that everyone else's thinking didn't evolve along with ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently a dancer has gone and invented a chair that dances, which she has been using with children with mobility impairments. According to the news story, she did see a group of wheelchair dancers once but felt that the wheelchairs were a "distraction" rather than a "seamless part of the dance" (? ... not that I'm any expert in dancing, by wheelchair or otherwise, but makes me wonder if perhaps the problem was simply that she wasn't watching a sufficiently competent troupe of dancers?) so she invented this special chair that she thinks is better for dancing. If you have any inclination to comment on it I'd be curious to read it, if it's your choice to share your thoughts:

    The article is here:
    http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/from-the-mind-of-a-dancer-a-new-kind-of-wheelchair/2143164

    Thanks,

    Andrea S.
    http://ramblingjustice.wordpress.com
    http://andreashettle.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete